I was raised in Upstate New York and never, ever tried grits or even heard of them until the Cracker Barrel restaurant came to our area and grits were on the menu. One of you wanted to give me the opportunity to try grits for myself and for my family. This recipe was included in the package of grits.
Let me say that these are DELICIOUS! They got my families seal of approval and a make again! Whether you are new to grits or have been making them for ages, you need to try this recipe.
I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we all did.
- 2lbs pork sausage (mild or spicy or a mix)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1¼ cups grits
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (I used ¼ tsp)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Brown sausage and drain well
- Set aside
- Bring water and broth to a boil
- Stir in salt and grits and then return to a boil
- Cover pan and reduce heat to medium
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat
- Add cheese, milk, butter, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper
- Stir until cheese melts
- Add sausage and eggs; mix
- Spoon into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish
- Bake uncovered @ 350F for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving